Wednesday, February 20, 2008

C is for Cookie

As mentioned here, I thought it might be a good idea (not to mention an excuse for me to indulge in a spot of decorating!) to put up a post featuring the cookie component of this Spring/Easter class I'll be teaching (held on 1 March 2008 , 2 March 2008 , 15 March 2008 and 16 March 2008 - for all inquiries, please call Shermay's Cooking School at +65 6479 8442 or email shermaycs@yahoo.com.sg).

The recipe for Rich Chocolate Cookies (flavoured with Valrhona cocoa and Nielsen-Massey's awesome chocolate extract) makes an easy-to-handle rolled dough that's perfect for decorated cookies. As for Royal Icing, I've used a recipe based on egg white powder - I've used a meringue powder royal icing and classic royal icing (based on raw whites) in previous classes before and thought it would be nice to show another alternative that works just as well.

Beyond the basic decorating techniques (like outlining, flooding, drop-in flooding, overpiping, flocking and gilding) that allow you to craft one-of-a-kind cookies, I just couldn't resist adding cookie pops to the line-up.
These treats-on-sticks let you arrange the most unusual edible bouquets – such as this cluster of Tulip Cookie Pops - be it as a memorable hostess gift or party table centerpiece.

Learning how to use a petal tip or drop flower tip to create 3-D piped icing flowers opens up a whole wealth of decorating possibilities; I think these Flower Baskets show off the royal icing blooms to sweet effect.
And of course, no celebration of Easter or Spring would be complete without

Chicks

and Bunnies.

Putting together an Easter basket for a child? It amuses me to think of these Carrots as accompanied by an Eat Your Veggies label - for once, the recalcitrant little one won't need much persuasion!
Butterflies

and Dragonflies are just as full of fun and frolic.

Need something a little more seemingly grown-up? May I suggest some Gilded Eggs? While a touch of gold works its magic on designs far simpler, faster and less fussy (as will be shown during the sessions), I thought I'd show a sample here of the more ornate numbers possible should one be of the school of thought that more-is-more when it comes to decorated cookies. Admittedly, I was having a bit of a moment when icing these, having just re-watched Marie Antoinette recently (in case you're wondering, not so much for Ms Coppola's revisionist re-telling...is it just me, or are those props - heaps of Ladurée pastries and piles of Manolos - completely show-stealing?). But what with the flurry of scrolls and swags and flourishes, the results might just as well have been inspired by a jewelled Fabergé imperial Easter egg, no?
The Art Nouveau-inspired motif on the right is based on Émile Gallé's design of swirling anemones, as seen gracing bottles of the Belle Epoque cuvée.

I was really thrilled at how these Jasper ware-inspired cookies turned out the last time, so wanted to try a few left plain white-on-blue.

44 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabergé is actually the first association I had with those two gilded egg cookies... I can really only see one advantage the meastro had: his "eggs" weren't meant to be eaten in the first place. And your creations are too beautiful for such a demise too!

1:47 am, February 20, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are an artist, nuff' said!

1:52 am, February 20, 2008  
Blogger tara said...

Not much can be said except gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous - as usual. I love how one beautifully decorated cookie seems that much more special than a box of 'standard' ones. How perfect!

2:51 am, February 20, 2008  
Blogger Sooshi said...

You've amazed me again. I wish I was back in Asia for this!

3:13 am, February 20, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All too pretty to eat... every single one.

3:50 am, February 20, 2008  
Blogger My Sweet & Saucy said...

Whatever you make is always just breathtaking! Your work is so inspiring to me and I bet millions of others! Thank you for a fantastic blog!

5:54 am, February 20, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your piping is immaculate! I love the dragonflies wings, but I'm thinking the carrots might be more realistic...

7:00 am, February 20, 2008  
Blogger Connie said...

you have such a steady hand, its amazing

8:57 am, February 20, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A visit here is always like a trip to a fantasy faraway place. Quite aside from a steady hand and grasp of technical knowhow, it's obvious that you are naturally gifted and talented.

10:55 am, February 20, 2008  
Blogger Marianna said...

wow, these are all really very beautiful! and the eggs are very classy!

4:48 pm, February 20, 2008  
Blogger DS said...

YOU

are my hero.

I've been following your blog for a while and EVERY SINGLE TIME you put up a new post, I am blown away!!!!!

6:01 pm, February 20, 2008  
Blogger Cannelle Et Vanille said...

Those eggs are so beautiful... the piping is clean and detailed... Piece of art! And the photos are styled so beautifully...

7:20 pm, February 20, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I especially like the butterflies. Simply gorgeous :)

2:09 am, February 21, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a piece of cookie art. FANTASTIC!!! I don't even know which one I like the most, because all of them are beautiful. Great as usual

3:17 am, February 21, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god, I love the last one the most! Oh, and did I mention you have the best piping skills? Everything is just awesome! How I wish I could just have half of your piping talents.

3:35 am, February 21, 2008  
Blogger Melissa Rodriguez Photography said...

Stunning as always! Thanks for sharing.

4:20 am, February 21, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey j,i've emailed you previously asking for a one-on-one lesson....any chance you have had a change of mind and can accommodate my request?

10:27 pm, February 21, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such superb refined piping and decorations. I am very much looking forward to your class next week. Thanks for being such an inspiration. See you then!

2:24 am, February 22, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

i've been a huge fan of your blog for some time, so much so that i've 'tagged' you. if you wanna see what that means and what you need to do then follow the link to my blog - if you have time!

8:16 am, February 22, 2008  
Blogger Ginger M. said...

My, your creations are some kind of wonderful. Absolutely stunning!

4:13 pm, February 22, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These cookies are absolutely gorgeous. I'm inspired...

11:12 pm, February 23, 2008  
Blogger Cakespy said...

It really is all so lovely!! I am floored. And the colors you choose show impeccable taste!

12:57 am, February 24, 2008  
Blogger Valentina said...

What a shame. I arrive in Singapore on 2nd March and return to England on 15th. Will be unable to attend. These pictures are lovely!!!

9:06 am, February 24, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think u are brilliant !

3:03 pm, February 24, 2008  
Blogger bee said...

Hi! Everything looks so wonderful...! I have signed up for the class but I have no prior experience with how to handle piping bags, decorating pastries (I bake and dust icing sugar...=)). Would you advice doing some practise (and how) before the class? Thanks!!!

5:00 pm, February 24, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

these are way too beautiful to eat, i love the blue and white ones.

7:58 pm, February 25, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey j, very nice indeed

8:23 am, February 27, 2008  
Blogger Miso Doll said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:33 am, February 28, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would you mind telling me where you got all these wonderful cookies cutter?

1:55 pm, February 28, 2008  
Blogger Miso Doll said...

All your creations are so beautiful! I'm visiting Singapore in a couple of weeks and was so excited to see that you have some classes on. I rang up immediately but all places were secured. Maybe next time.
How do you get your beautiful pictures and props? I've just started my own food blog so reading yours is so inspirational :)

5:19 pm, February 28, 2008  
Blogger Yan said...

you are an amazing artistic baking talent!
hope i can be part of the class in end mar08 to see u live in action of teaching and demo.
kudos
cheerios,
yan

11:07 pm, March 02, 2008  
Blogger Tempered Woman said...

Those eggs are just jaw dropping awe-inspiring. They really do look like works of art!

10:39 pm, March 05, 2008  
Blogger Shalimar said...

J just amazing... a great excuse to be in singapore just to join your classes...

2:23 am, March 10, 2008  
Blogger L said...

Your cookies are beautiful. Just Gorgeous.

10:35 pm, March 17, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo, those are exquisite. And I love the background paper you use to display them.

4:23 am, March 23, 2008  
Blogger melda said...

Oh my God! I don't know what to say. Tulip cookies, egg cookies, carrot cookies, butterflies... all of them are just great. Well done! I really like them very much.
Thank you for sharing.

12:47 am, April 07, 2008  
Blogger BailiwickStudio said...

Oh my... they're much too pretty to eat! And yet, they look so yummy I know I'd bite into one to taste it! ::Jill

10:23 pm, April 10, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

O.M.G!
your icing technique is flawless & so beautiful! i wish i can pipe so neatly (i think my patience would run out beforeeven a one cookie gets decorated!) xx

11:43 pm, May 28, 2008  
Blogger Bridget said...

These are just amazing!

11:46 am, June 05, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gorgeous cookies!

4:46 am, August 18, 2008  
Blogger Jojee said...

Ohhh SO sweet!
they are very pretty:)
I want to taste it!:)
Greeting from Turkey:)

6:17 pm, January 22, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

excellent piping technique

8:56 pm, April 16, 2009  
Blogger Jelli said...

Your cookies are beautiful! I first found the Christmas cookies, but wow, these are also impressive!

10:38 pm, November 03, 2009  
Blogger Ashley said...

Wow! These are gorgeous and amazing! I love them all! I posted pics on my blog for my followers to see too!

www.attention2detailblog.blogspot.com

Fantastic!

11:06 pm, March 18, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home